Friday, October 19, 2007

The Bush Twins



Well, here it is. I put about 13 hours overall, research included, in this peice. I am reletivly happy with the outcome. On first glimpse i can see that there is a HUGE anatomical difference, but i honestly dont think it takes away from the peice enough to screw it up. Now keeping in mind that Jack Martin is my favorite teacher, i thought that he did knit-pick a couple of things in my peice that may have been better off not said. I realize that as an instructor of a diffucult feild you have to be honest of inspiring students work, but at the same time there are issues that are better left alone until a later date. I felt that he gave me GREAT criticism, i agreed about almost everything except his fire comment (those of you there will understand). I dont think i missed the assignment, as a matter of fact i think i adressed the concept pretty much spot on. I answered the assignment "beauty vs. Beast". I think that yes there are some anatomical details that need to be adressed, that i still conveyed, if not a narration, than at least a likeness and concistency between the two peices. Maybe the composition is a few inches off, and I should have rendered out some more spotes (like the ear), the flag in the first peice should be a bit cooler in the color. but that stuff is minor, upon first glance i do get the feel of whats going on, and i can admit that some parts arent rendered out completely but those parts do not completly take away from a peice.

That is my own criticism on my own work. I am still pleased with my crit. in class today. Jack gave me some really good advice that i want to put into future assignments.
I am still having trouble with some mediums, I feel like i am, however, getting a feel for pastel. I have become comfortable with oils in a strictly abstract, fine art sense, but for illustration (which is what i ultimately want to do) i havent found a definate style and medium that completley dominates my work. I generally try to experiment with every medium, but have found recently charcoal, sanguine, pastel, or, oil paints, are my strongest mediums.

Since i am still a junior at pcad, i feel that i have a good amount of time to work on either low-income spot illustrations, or cheep magazine covers until i find a syle or medium that can launch me to the next level of my own art, i plan to just practice it all.

I look forward to the day i break away and start getting my peices to a point where i am in high demand. Besides, time will take its time, if we take time out of time

No comments: